Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder not Dutch process
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened (or shortening)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Optional: 3 tablespoons chopped nuts or sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate large bowl beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer at high speed until well blended. Beat in the vanilla and egg until blended. Mix in flour mixture and chocolate chips (and optional nuts) with a wooden spoon until just blended.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls (or use a small cookie scoop) two inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 11-13 minutes or until puffed in the center (just barely set). Remove from oven; cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from sheets and cool completely on wire racks. Makes 30 cookies