Yield: about 1 pound: enough to fill 3-4 gift bags
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups roasted cashews or peanuts; I roasted my own in the oven…if purchasing roasted cashews or peanuts, make sure to look for unsalted ones)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt plus another 1/2 teaspoon
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Kaffir lime leaves if unavailable, try double the amount of lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red Thai chili if unavailable, use red chili flakes or ground cayenne pepper
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, and corn syrup. Mix until all of the sugar is wet.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high, stirring with a heat-proof spatula until all of the sugar is dissolved. Then boil to 250 degrees F. without stirring.
- Add the butter, and stir constantly (but gently) until the mixture reaches 320 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cashews, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the vanilla extract, the baking soda, and the crushed lime leaves and chilies. Stir thoroughly to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture onto the parchment paper, and, working quickly, spread evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with the other 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- Let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.