Big Batch Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 1/2 pounds elbow macaroni or favorite short pasta about 14 cups uncooked
- 3 sticks butter or margarine
- 8 ounces all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoon dry mustard
- 5-10 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 medium onion grated or finely minced
- 1 gallon whole milk
- 4 pounds sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 pounds of a combination of Swiss Fontina, mozzarella, Colby or Monterey Jack may also be used
- Preheat oven to 350º F. In large stock pot, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Melt butter in the same stock pot or in a large saucepan.
- Sauté finely minced garlic cloves in 3-4 tablespoons of the butter
- Stir in flour, salt, dry mustard and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, 5-10 minutes.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Cook until thickened and onions are softened. Add cheese to sauce and stir until cheese melts.
- Pour over pasta and mix thoroughly. Pour into pans.
- Divide evenly and sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake about 35-45 minutes or until hot and bubbling
This large quantity pasta recipe makes approximately 3 13″ x 9″ pans