Mess O’ Greens
Best Method Braised Greens
- 5 bundles collard greens turnip greens, mustard greens, or a mix
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 3 large smoked ham hocks or 5 smoked turkey Wings
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 head Garlic crushed and sliced thinly
- Thoroughly wash greens.
- Be sure to pull leaves apart and remove any sand.
- Slice greens in finger sized ribbons.
- In a stockpot, bring 4 cups of water to a simmer.
- Place smoked meat, garlic, pepper flakes, sugar, and vinegar in water
- and cover for about 90 minutes.
- Cook smoked meat until tender about an hour and a half 2 hours.
- In the same Pot, add greens.
- Cover and cook greens for a further 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper and another dash of vinegar if it needs it.
- Serve in a bowl with the pot likker.