BIG BATCH Red Quinoa Salad with Spicy Lime Vinaigrette
Serves 25- 35 people
- 5 shallot finely chopped
- 5 clove garlic finely chopped
- 5 small jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- Zest of 3limes
- Juice of 7 limes
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 4 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 1/2 pound peeled seeded butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cup red quinoa
- 10 cups water
- 5 cans white beans drained
- 1 1/4 cup cilantro leaves roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot, garlic, jalapeño, lime zest and juice, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the olive and canola oils in a slow steady stream until combined. Taste for seasoning, and set aside until ready to dress the salad.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet, combine the pumpkin seeds with the olive oil and paprika in one even layer. Toast for 8 minutes in the oven, or until browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 400 degrees, and on the same baking sheet, combine the butternut squash and canola oil. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway through to evenly brown and caramelize. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, toast the quinoa, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until the grains are aromatic. Add the water and a pinch of salt. Stir well and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Transfer to a large bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Add the squash, white beans, half of the pumpkin seeds, and half of the cilantro to the quinoa. Drizzle with the lime dressing and toss gently. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining pumpkin seeds and cilantro.